Talking about the Firsts
Last Update: 2018-09-22 12:26:40
I'll never forget the first time I made a presentation about Microsoft software for web design "Expression Web" at an IT study group.
At the time, I had published a book about the first version of Expression Web in the previous year, and I was working on the book for the second version.
When I was in front of many people, my mind went blank. I had no idea what to say at all. But I tried to communicate with the participants during the initial meet and greet.
I asked them if anyone had ever used Expression Web, and only a few people raised their hands.
When I said "Is there anyone who wants to say like 'what's Expression Web'?", most of them showed me their hands.
After I muttered to myself "That's why my book sales are not so good" on the spur of the moment, everybody laughed. That helped me to calm my nerves a little.
I remember some of them told me that I made more sense only after I started the demonstration. According to them I didn't seem Japanese during the first half of my presentation.
The software support had already been discontinued by Microsoft and it was freeware. I now own the online community for the Japanese users as the author.
- Speech Series
- Talking About Your Views on Technology
- Talking About a Memorable Historical Event
- Talking About Your Hopes and Plans
- Talking About a Past Era
- Talking About a Favorite Building
- Talking About a Significant Experience in Your Life
- Talking about a Controversial Topic
- Talking About a Frightening Experience in Your Entire Life
- Talking About Global Issues
- Talking About a Travel Experience
- Talking About Best and Worst TV Shows
- Talking About a Memorable Relative
- Describing a Favorite Restaurant
- Talking about a Tradition You Admire
- Talking about the Firsts
- Speech Series